Here is my top ten list of things all dads should tell their daughters. Of course, this top ten list is a work-in-progress and I always reserve the right to change it as circumstances change. Right now, though, these are the things that I think are most important to tell my daughter:
1. “I love you”
2. “I will keep you safe”
3. “Treat other people the way that you want to be treated”
4. “Make mistakes and learn from them” We learn from our mistakes. I will support you and your decisions and allow you to learn (but may have to explain why I am intervening if you need guidance to keep you safe). And, yes, even daddies make mistakes.
5. “Discover things and activities that you love” Go with them. Enjoy them. These things are the things that make everything worthwhile.
6. “Sometimes bad things happen to good people” Yes, we all face adversity and struggles at points along the way. Learn from these experiences and let them guide you to fuller enjoyment of all experiences
7. “I really love spending time with you”
8. “Laugh a lot” Find humour in things – It makes life much more fun.
9. “Sometimes you have to be patient and just wait” These things that you often do have to wait for are oftentimes the best
10. “Live for today but don’t ignore tomorrow” Making short and long-term plans will help keep you on track and guide your decisions and actions.
Thank you very much for dropping by. Please come back soon.
Here are some more of my posts regarding children and parenting.
Author: Jason Milburn Google