Have you ever asked yourself, “How is it that frugal people always seem to save so much money on dryer sheets?” The plain answer is that they might not even use them; they use dryer balls instead.
What is a dryer ball? Quite simply, it is a plastic ball about the size of a plum that is covered in soft nodules. You put it in your clothes dryer along with your wet clothes and it performs the function of a dryer sheet by softening your clothes and helping to reduce static cling. It spins around in the drying tub and separates your clothes (this also seems to reduce drying times for me).
There are a few advantages to this approach:
1) Reduced drying time. Using them does seem to reduce drying times somewhat (so you save energy costs).
2) No perfumes. The perfumes that they use in even the most mildly scented of dryer sheets seems overwhelming to me (with that being said, you can get unscented sheets, but if you go this route it just makes the dryer balls option even more compelling).
3) They make clothes soft. They actually do work well at softening clothes, at least as good as dryer sheets in my opinion.
4) They are very inexpensive. I have used my original set for about two years now and they still work well. Considering that you can get a set for under $5.00/pr. the life cycle cost is next to nothing.
Other things to consider:
1) Reducing static cling. They do work at reducing static cling significantly but perhaps not quite to the exact same degree as regular drying sheets.
2) Some people who have used them have claimed that the balls have split after only a few uses (see the Amazon product link that I have added on the right side of this page). This has not been my experience (as I said, I have used the same set for over two years now).
Overall, I have been very happy with this product and I think that it will appeal to the frugal-minded shopper. It is a viable and thrifty alternative to dryer sheets. You can find them around at various hardware stores and department stores. I have also included a link to Amazon.com
CHECK OUT more of my FAVOURITE PRODUCTS!